Frequently Asked Questions

How do I apply? 

Send us an email to and we will email you an enrolment package, including English test information, the fee schedule and school information. 

Do I need a high level of English? 

It is an advantage to have a good level of English before you come to Hills College, but it is not a necessity. In Hills Language College, we can help you to improve your English so you will be ready to enter high school. Below are the expected English entry levels for mainstream at Hills College.  Students in Years Prep to Year 2 are expected to understand normal classroom instructions.

Year Level IELTS (Academic) TOEFL (paper) TOEFL iBT ISLPR
3 - 6
7 - 8
Do I need to do an English test? 

So we are able to offer you the course that is right for you, you will do an English placement test before you arrive in Australia. This will be part of your enrolment process. The test will be in three parts; a Reading test, a Writing test and a remote, online interview to determine your Listening and Speaking abilities. If you have any questions about English levels or testing, email our Head of International Programs at

What are the accommodation choices? 

You can live with an approved Australian homestay family, or with your own approved family or guardian. Speak to us about your choices when you enrol. Information about the Australian Government’s rules for welfare is found here Home Affairs - Welfare Arrangements

What help is there for me at school? 

At Hills College, we have many people who can help you. Our school is very proud of its community of support. Here are some of the important people you can ask for help; 

  • Mrs Vanessa Newbery, Head of International Programs 
  • Mr Ben Pope, Head of Wellbeing 
  • Mrs Mandy Comerford, Counsellor and Careers Advisor 
  • Mrs Grace Ogoti / Ms Amy Lee-Perkins / Mrs Joelle Parer, Year Level Coordinators 
  • Mrs Julie-Anne Skelton, Head of Secondary 
  • Mr Matt Noel, Head of Primary 
  • Homeroom teachers 
  • Hills Language College teachers 
  • Homestay Coordinator 
What will I study in Hills Language College? 

In HLC, students are taught study skills, referencing, essay writing, Western academic conventions, grammar, reading for meaning and purpose, other skills needed in Hills College. Students are also involved in weekly Maths, Science/Humanities, HPE, Literature and Arts classes. 

When will I go to high school after Hills Language College? 

Students in HLC are tested twice a term, to gauge their English language improvement. At the end of every term, students who have reached the benchmark needed for high school will graduate to that year level. You are able to stay in HLC for a maximum of 50 weeks. You must study hard to make progress, as this is a condition of your student visa.  

I am an adult. Can I still learn English? 

Yes! We have a General English class. The target clients for this course is older adolescents and young adults, though more mature students are always welcome.  

The broad aims of this course are to prepare students to achieve their goals, be they to enter university or TAFE, play golf or to acquire enough English to function in the Australian community. 

All General English students are required to obtain a Blue Card - this means you can live and study at a school. It is a criminal history clearance check. We will help you to do this before you arrive in Australia. 

What does it mean when you say HLC is NEAS accredited? 

NEAS is the National ELT Accreditation Scheme, and aims to advance education by providing quality assurance services for everyone in the English Language Teaching community. 

The NEAS tick promotes the recognition of quality in English teaching. Hills Language College has had over 25 years of continuous quality assurance with NEAS, providing our families and agents with peace of mind that students will receive the best quality English language education. 

I am in primary school. Can I come to Hills? 

Yes! You are able to come and study in our primary school however, you will need to live with a parent or approved guardian. You are not able to live in homestay or in the boarding house if you are a primary school student.  

What will happen on my first day? 

You will be met by the Head of International Programs, Mrs Vanessa Newbery. She will take you on a tour of the school and introduce you to some people who will be important to your school life. We will give you wifi access so you can contact your family on the first day. You will then meet your homestay family or the dormitory staff, and settle into your new home. Your orientation will take a few days, so you do not have too much information to think about on your first day.  

I have more questions. Who can I talk to? 

We love questions! For any international enrolment or study questions, please email